Are you feeling the familiar blahs of winter? It's dark early, it's too cold do anything outside. It can be a really difficult time for staying upbeat and motivated.
I thought it would be helpful for me to put together a list of things I can do when I get bogged down by a depressing mood. Maybe it will help you too.
1. Always have something FUN planned to look forward to. I like to have a trip somewhere warm planned in my near future. It keeps me going.
2. Spend time with positive uplifting people. Go out for dinner with a special friend.
3. Visit a green house. I love to do this. It seems whenever I go to a greenhouse the sun will peek through the clouds, and the whole place lights up.
I soak in the life giving energy from all the green plants. My favorite places to go are:
MN Landscape Arboretum
4. Visit a mall and window shop. Spending an afternoon in a well lit mall. It almost makes you forget the cold, wet, darkness outside.
5. Listen to music. Music is a great way to lift a mood. Dance around the house, when no one is watching. My favorite song to dance to is Happy, by Pharrel Williams.
6. Sit by a fire and read an uplifting romance, or sci-fi whatever it is that takes you to another place.
7. Watch lots of movies. I love the way a movie can take your mind off something that is bothering you. At least for a couple of hours.
8. Go for a walk outside. I know that this one is tough. It's the last thing I want to do when it's cold outside. But, get out there. Bundle up, and bring a camera phone with you. Try to take pictures of all that is beautiful about winter.
9. Treat yourself to your favorite drink. Hot chocolate, anyone?
10. Grin and bear it.
Here are some pictures I captured on a walk a few weeks ago.
The beauty of a Hoarfrost is really spectacular.